The garden is looking fantastic! I’ve spoken to multiple people about how much it’s really bloomed in the past week or so. I would go out on a limb and say that we’re doing even better than last season - keep up the great work everyone!
Just some quick updates:
- The composting tumbler is coming! Look out for it in the coming weeks - more info to come from Zac on the ins and outs of composting. One of our compost bins is also finished (yay!) so feel free to take some to nourish your plants. Please do not add anything more to the bin that has the “finished compost” sign in it - add it to the bin that has the “add compost” sign!
- There will be a work day next Wednesday at 5:00 pm. Hopefully it won’t rain this time - fingers crossed!
That’s all for now, enjoy!
We’re off to a great start!
Hi everyone! The garden is in full swing, and it is looking great!
Registration for plots are now closed. Thanks to all who have signed up, this season is looking busier than ever! It’s great to see all of the activity going on each day in the garden.
Just as a reminder, we will be having a work day on Wednesday, June 13th at 5:00 pm. Hope to see everyone there!
That’s all for now, but if there are any questions feel free to reach out.
The first work day was a success!
On Sunday, a crew of us met for the first time this season at the garden itself and began cleaning and preparing it for opening day!
During the fast-and-furious work period that we had, we prepared the soil for tilling, measured our plots, sifted through the compost to begin readying our compost area for our new compost tumbler, planned out where the perennials would be placed and what they would be, and cleaned the tool shed! It was hugely productive and we are feeling ready for opening day. Here are some highlights from our work:
- We will be planting blueberries, rhubarb, and asparagus as our perennials.
- There is one active compost bin currently - please place compost ONLY in the bin marked with the blue sign.
- In the coming days, the town will till the soil and we will be able to properly map out the placement of plots. Look for plot assignment to be on the website! We will also be letting everyone know how many plots remain available.
Lastly, keep your eyes peeled for an opening day announcement - should be any day now!
That’s all for now - check back soon!
Season #2 has begun
Hi everyone! Although it’s not quite time to start planting in the garden yet, we are happy to have started planning this year’s garden season! It is going to be a really great one.
As a committee, we have met two times to discuss the upcoming season. We are currently in the process of getting our soil tested via our local UVM Extension’s office - this will help us determine what we can do to organically help our soil so that our plants really thrive and get the nutrients that they need this year.
We are busy planning fun events for everyone to join in on - please check back with our calendar frequently to see planned events! We are also getting a new rotating drum composter any day now which will help quicken our composting process.
That’s all for now, but please explore the website and e-mail us if you have any questions or comments! We are SO looking forward to gardening with everyone this year!
And welcome to the new online home of the Bennington Community Garden.
This is all we have for now, but look forward to cool new content!